Testing data has been challenging to manage, especially when it is generated in much greater volumes. Today’s testing teams are constantly looking for ways to properly document their data – leaving out the noise and only collecting what’s actionable. And that’s also the reason why test reporting tools are on the rise.
In this article, you will learn about what test reporting tools are, how to find out the best-fit ones, and the three most popular names in the community.
Test Reporting Tools: What Are They?
Test reporting tools are solutions that summarize all the results of testing activities. Typically, these tools gather the details related to the test case performed, defects, and the quality of the tested product. Thereby, they allow better assessment of the testing project, which enables stakeholders to make effective decisions on the software release.
How to Figure out the Best-fit Test Reporting Tools
Choosing the right tools will make a great start. Below are some questions you should ask before investing in any test reporting products.
- User Interface (UI): Is the UI user-friendly?
- Usability: Is the tool easy to learn? Can it integrate smoothly with multiple automation testing solutions? Does the tool provide sufficient learning resources (tech support, tutorials, and training) for you or your team to adopt it fast?
- Functionality: Throughout the testing project, can it help team members consistently produce meaningful and insightful test reports?
- Pricing: Considering its features and capabilities, does it cost more than what it can offer? Is the pricing transparent and reasonable?
Top 3 Test Reporting Tools
1. Katalon TestOps
Katalon TestOps is an open and comprehensive platform for QA orchestration and advanced test analytics. The three key modules of this tool include test planning, test management, configurations and analytics.
This tool provides full insights on the product quality status through collaborative dashboards and reports, enabling better management of testing activities across the toolchain and frameworks your team is using. With Katalon TestOps’ assistance, enterprises and teams of all sizes can now guarantee quality at speed throughout every stage with no DevOps expertise required.
- Clean and easy-to-use UI, and analytics-driven reporting features
- Compatibility with a wide range of testing frameworks (TestNG, JUnit, Selenium, Jest, Mocha, Jasmine, etc.) and CI/CD tools (Bamboo, Jenkins, CircleCI, Azure DevOps, etc.)
- Integration with ALMs (Jira, Slack), as well as SDK and REST APIs
- Dashboards to provide key quality metrics such as release readiness or test pass/fail trends
- Visualized execution reports with HAR files, videos, screenshots, logs, and errors for effective failure analysis
- Data tracking in real-time and alert customization for timely actions
Pricing: Free & Paid
Functionize is an intelligent automation tool that incorporates the power of AI/ML for self-healing and cloud scaling capabilities. This NLP (Natural Language Processing) based engine is considered user-friendly thanks to many ML modes and Word-to-Vec NLP.
- One-click test failure detection with SmartFix and screenshots
- Live Debug feature to set breakpoints and interact with the running program
- Collaboration with TestRail to manage testing requirements in an intuitive dashboard
- Better implemented test infrastructure using Functionize’s Test Cloud
ReportPortal is an AI-powered open-source reporting platform created by EPAM developers and community contributors. The tool offers results and reports centralized in a single place, and historical data collected for failure pattern analysis and trend predictions. The built-in analytic features also contribute to the improvements in speed and quality of test analysis and reporting.
- View and publish reports of various types, such as SQL, OLAP, or SSPS reports
- Consistently complements Microsoft BI stack by great roadmap planning and shorter time-to-market
- Seamlessly integrates with different frameworks, including Node.js, SoapUI, SpecFlow, and ScalaTest
- Real-time reporting of test results during test execution
- Classifying failure according to root causes
A suitable test reporting tool can help QA teams save time and effort while leveraging testing efficiency. Carefully consider the solution’s compatibility with other platforms and toolchain your team is using, the scripting language it supports, and the data volume it can manage before making your investment.
For those QA teams working under budget constraints, open-source test reporting tools, say ReportPortal, can be a great choice to start with. However, in the long run, teams will need more features and professional support from vendors. Covering all related requirements, Katalon TestOps offers comprehensive and actionable insights into the tests, resources, and environment by paving a seamless migration path to the mainstream testing frameworks. Moreover, its test orchestration capability enables smart and effective test planning, prioritizing important tests so that teams can achieve improved quality and test management. With all the rich features it has to offer, Katalon TestOps promises to help teams better their QA process and optimize results.
Read moreTrigger modal